Happy New Year! Can you believe we’ve officially rounded the corner into a new year? It doesn’t seem possible but here we are. In honor of the new year, we want to share some of our favorite resolutions to help get your 2019 started on the right foot. With today being the first day of the year, we really wanted to start off with a bang and an issue that is so near and dear to our hearts: self care and self love. This year, we challenge you to find peace and acceptance on your journey to self love, because regardless of where you are in your journey, you deserve to love yourself exactly the way you are at all times. It’s great to want to improve yourself, self-improvement is what keeps us moving forward, but just because you want to continue to grow as a person and move towards your goals does not mean that you cannot and should not love yourself while you’re working your way there.
We think that a big part of learning to love yourself again is actually focusing on self care. We so easily break promises to ourselves and put others’ needs before our own. This year, it’s time to turn the focus back onto ourselves and our own mental health. Have you ever heard the analogy of “filling your cup?” So many people have empty cups because they’re too busy pouring into others. Think of it this way: if you instead tried to do things to help you fill your own cup, eventually it would overflow and then fill others! That’s why we’re going to take time to work on numero uno. Read a book, take a walk, write in a journal. Find your bliss. What brings you joy? What helps you find relaxation? These are the questions you need to answer and actively make choices to do these things.
Along with this is also removing toxic situations and people from your life. If there’s someone bringing you down, or bringing you stress or sadness, consider removing them from your life. Life is too short to be anything but happy. If there are toxic relationships, or environments, or other commitments you have in your life: remove them! If your job makes you miserable, start hunting for a new one! Part of finding your joy and taking care of your mental health means removing the negative too.
Quick Tips to Get You Started:
1. A Gratitude Journal. We love starting our day by writing down all the things we’re grateful for. Right now, we’re obsessed with Rachel Hollis’s Start Today journals. Even if a new journal isn’t in your budget, grab a notebook and start each day by writing down 5 things you’re grateful for that day. Not big picture things, but small things that are specific to that day. Also write down 10 goals for yourself and pick which one you’re going to work to achieve first. This is the same set up of the Start Today journal and we truly believe it’s a recipe for success!
2. Fill Your Feeds with Love. Start your year with a full social media sweep. If you find yourself comparing or envious of other people showing up in your feed, remove them! If it’s not something that lifts you up and inspires you or makes you happy, it has no place in your life anymore. Good vibes only!
3. Unplug. If you’re struggling with #2, try just unplugging from social media for a bit. We’ve found that taking a social media cleanse can be a magical thing. At first you may have some fomo, but after the first few days, you’ll see how it’s almost like a weight lifted off your shoulders. Not to mention it’ll free up a bunch of time with you not sitting and mindlessly scrolling as much.
4. Create a Vision Board. What do you see your year looking like? What are your goals and dreams? This comes back to focusing on YOU first! Put together a vision board filled with all the hopes and dreams you have for yourself over the next year and beyond.
5. Meditate. If you’ve never tried meditation, we highly recommend it. This is so good for you mentally. Take even just five minutes each day to yourself and just sit with the silence and be still. We love guided meditations, especially for beginners. There are tons of great free resources available online for this too! Our favorite is definitely Calm, which also has a convenient app. The first bit is free with options for premium to gain access to hundreds of additional meditations as you get more into things.
Let’s make 2019 the best year yet, especially when it comes to our self care and mental health! Cheers!