Today’s resolution is focused on decluttering! We all have clothes piling up in our closet or trinkets thrown in drawers to be forgotten about; meanwhile, we complain about how we need more space! Well, it is finally time to take control of our belongings and declutter and organize our homes! To help you let go of your belongings we are sharing our best tips to successfully declutter!
BEFORE YOU BEGIN...
Before you begin, you may be a little hesitant; you love your things and can’t image a world without them! In order to be successful in this resolution, try changing your perspective. Know that a tidy home is a tidy mind. It has been proven that people who live in organized homes are happier and healthier than those who live in clutter and disorganization, so why not give decluttering a try! Also, remember that most of your unused possessions can help out others in need, which is another great motivator!
TIPS TO SUCCESSFULLY DECLUTTER:
- Give away one item each day.
- Set a timer for 5-10 minutes every day devoted to decluttering.
- Grab two large trash bags at the beginning of each month and fill one with trash and one with donations.
- Make a list of areas in your home and focus on one area at a time.
- Take the 12-12-12 challenge: throw away 12 items, donate 12 items, and return 12 items to their proper place.
- Do the four box method: fill keep, donate, throw away/recycle, and relocate boxes for each area of the house.
- Start by clearing/organizing all the flat surfaces in your home.
- If you haven’t worn an article of clothing or a pair of shoes in the last two years you probably never will-let it go!
- If unsure whether to keep that shirt you may or may not wear, try it on and see how it fits. If it fits and looks good keep it for another 3 months. If you don’t wear it by then donate it! If it doesn’t fit, or you have any hesitation to how you look, donate it now!
- Money is motivation-set a goal to host a yard sale with all of your unused stuff.
- Throw away all expired makeup.
- Hold an item in your hand for 5 seconds, if it does not bring you happiness you don’t need it.
- Don’t bring in any new items until your decluttering is complete.
- Don’t forget the larger items in your home! If you have a table you never use or an old chair, rehome it!
- Get rid of any mismatched Tupperware! It can always be replaced and you probably have more than you need anyways.
- Tackle that junk drawer last! If there isn’t a place to put something throw it out! No more junk drawers!
TIPS TO SUCCESSFULLY ORGANIZE:
- Make sure every item in your home has a designated place.
- Invest in a filing cabinet or accordion folder to organize all the important papers you need to keep a hold of.
- Invest in furniture with multiple purposes such as a storage bench.
- When bringing in new furniture, the less drawers the better! It eliminates the habit of building up clutter!
- Get rid of all the cardboard boxes in your pantry! Use clear and labeled storage containers! It will be easier to assess when you are low on rice and need to shop!
- Take advantage or wasted space, such as the sides of cabinets and in insides of doors.
- Buy drawer organizers for your office, kitchen, makeup, and anything you try to hide away.
- When a space is successfully organized, it should not take you more than 3 seconds to find something.
- Make your bed every morning. A made bed automatically makes the whole bedroom look more organized.
- Clean out and organize your fridge every other month. No one wants a dirty fridge or expired dressing!
- Keep only seasonal clothing in your closet. Store the rest in the attic or basement until it is time to change over your closet again. While changing over your closet, be mindful of items you did not wear and consider donating them.
- If you don’t have storage space for non-seasonal clothing, put those towards the top or back of your closet.