We’re nearing the end of a long, chilly winter, and warm weather is just over the horizon. What better way to celebrate than with a classic fruity drink on National Margarita Day? Thursday, February 22nd is the cocktail’s honorary day this year. Whether you want to go out with your girls and find the best marg in town or you want to grab some tequila and try out some tasty cocktail recipes, we have the total run-down for you!
Authentic Mexican restaurants are the best place to swing by for a classic margarita, but they can be pricey. That’s the beauty of National Margarita Day - drink specials galore at some of the priciest restaurants! If you’re not sure where to start, the National Margarita Day website has a list of participating restaurants by state, and a majority of them are authentic places that are sure to serve the best of the best!
If you’re looking for a real bargain this Marg Day, check out the chain restaurants in your area. The drinks might not be as authentic, but they’ll definitely be delicious, and even cheaper! On The Border is just one of the many restaurants running a special for National Margarita Day, and theirs can’t be beat: $2 house margaritas from February 9th through February 22nd, and you can score free queso if you dine in on the big day!
Not really feeling a night out, but still want to treat yourself to a fresh margarita? Shake up some margs right at home! Invite some friends over and try out these three recipes for an easy girls’ night in. We’ve got you covered, whether you’re looking for something sweet, spicy, and different, a classic triple sec and lime marg, or something fruity and frozen!
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons tequila
- 1-2 habanero chiles, halved
- Kosher salt
- 6 cups fresh pink grapefruit juice
- Mix tequila and chiles in a large pitcher.
- Let steep 3 hours, or longer if a spicier tequila is desired.
- Discard chiles.
- Pour enough water onto a small plate to cover.
- Pour enough salt onto another small plate to cover by 1/4".
- Dip rims of eight 12-ounce. glasses into water, then into salt to lightly coat; fill with ice.
- Add grapefruit juice to pitcher with tequila.
- Fill with ice; stir until cold.
- Divide drink among glasses.
What you’ll need:
- 1 1/2 ounces tequila
- 1/2 ounce triple sec (Cointreau is recommended)
- 1 ounce fresh lime juice
- Lime wedge for garnish
- Salt or sugar to rim the glass (optional)
How to make it:
- If desired, salt the rim of a chilled margarita glass.
- Pour the ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice cubes.
- Shake well.
- Strain into the prepared glass with or without fresh ice.
- Garnish with the lime wedge.
- 1 cup frozen unsweetened raspberries
- 1 cup brandy-based orange liqueur (such as Grand Marnier®)
- 3/4 cup gold tequila
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- Lemons Organic
- 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
- ice cubes
- Place the raspberries, brandy-based orange liqueur, tequila, lemon juice, and sugar in a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Serve in glasses over ice cubes.