If you want that sun-kissed look, but do not want to harm your skin under the sun or in tanning beds, there are plenty of options for self-tanning! From lotions and gels to sprays and tanning towelettes (yes, tanning towelettes!), you’ll be looking like you just spent all day under the sun in no time! Just like with anything, there are dos and don’ts for using and applying self-tanners:
- Exfoliate and shave/wax prior to applying any self-tanner, typically up to 24 hours prior
- Test the shade of self-tanner on a small patch of skin before using it on larger areas
- Invest in a tan-applicator mitt to avoid streaks by applying with your bare hand
- Moisturize after to maintain that healthy glow!
- Layer it on, your skin can only absorb so much product and tint at a time
- Moisturize prior; it will affect the way your skin absorbs the tanning product
- Moisturize with oil after; oil is more prone to fade your tan faster