Scarves are so much more than just an accessory for your neck. When it comes to scarves, there are endless options of how to elevate an outfit using a scarf. One that’s often overlooked, despite being so simple, it putting a scarf in your hair! Using a scarf in your hairstyle is not only eye catching but so customizable. You can choose from a variety of lengths, patterns, colors, and materials to get all different kind of looks. For example, if you’re going for a more bohemian look you could try a longer scarf with earth toned colors, or use a striking patterned scarf to spice up a monochromatic outfit. There are also so many different ways to style the scarves in your hair. You could simply tie the scarf around your head, braid it into your hair, or do a more advance wrap. With so many possibilities, it can be a bit overwhelming to narrow down what look you want to aim for. Luckily for you, we’ve got some inspiration to help you see what new looks you can try out!
Is the cool air drying out your hair? Is your blow dryer giving you split ends? It happens to all of us and easily ruins a good hair day. Lucky for you, we’ve found some great store bought and DIY products, as well as some simple advice, to help keep your hair and scalp hydrated and strong all winter long! Plus, most of our suggested products are available at Target, Amazon, or Sephora!
Hydration is key! Make sure you are using a leave in conditioner if you wash your hair on a daily basis. For thick, wavy, or curly hair try Ouidad Moisture Lock Leave in Conditioner, for fine hair try Carol's Daughter Mirabella Plum Leave-In Biotin Conditioner, for colored hair try Cantu Argan Oil Leave-In Conditioner Repair Cream, and for a multitude of hair troubles try FORM Multitask Leave-In Lotion.
You should also treat your hair to a once-weekly deep conditioning treatment to replenish moisture. We love Kératase Nutritve Masquintense Hair Mask for all hair types, Ouidad Curl Immersion Triple Threat Deep Conditioner for thick and curly hair, and Alterna Haircare Caviar Repair Treatment Masque for highlighted and colored hair.
If you can skip wetting your hair, opt for dry shampoo and only wash three times a week. Try Living Proof Perfect Hair Day Dry Shampoo or Suave Keratin Infusion Dry Shampoo (only $5!).
If your scalp is very dry, try using a scalp and hair oils such as Shea Moisture 100% Pure Monoi Oil or Living Proof's No Frizz Nourishing Oil.
Remember to use a heat protectant product if using heated styling tools. NEXXUS Nourishing Hair Oil and Joico K-Pak Protective Hairspray are our top picks!
If you can manage, trim your hair often to eliminate split dry ends, and avoid over-coloring as well! And invest in a humidifier! Your hair and skin will thank you!
Love wearing hats in the winter?! Try to find hats with silk or satin liners to deter frizz, or wrap your hair in a silk scarf before putting on your hat!
If you want to save money, or have a spa night on your couch, try these DIY winter hair care products! They all promote healthy hair growth, shine, and hydration! Just mix all ingredients together until smooth, apply to the hair (especially the scalp and ends), comb through, put in a bun for 30 minutes (or cover with a shower cap if your hair is short), then rinse with shampoo and leave in conditioner! Feel free to add your favorite essential oils to any of these recipes!
- Avocado Mask: 1 avocado, 2 tbsp. of coconut or olive oil, and 2 tbsp. of honey
- Mayo Mask: ½ cup of mayonnaise, 2 tbsp. of honey, juice from half a lemon, and 1 egg (optional)
- Egg and Yogurt Mask: 1 egg, 1 tbsp. each of full fat yogurt, coconut oil, and extra virgin olive oil
There are few feelings in the hot summer months better than cutting off your locks! Although some may be intimidated by cutting their hair, here are some fun summer cuts that will inspire you to go short this season!
Put a modern spin on the classic bob haircut! With a long bob, commonly known as the “lob,” you can have the experience of having a bob, but still keep some of your hair on the longer side!
If you’re weary on cutting your hair super short, having a nice medium hair cut will still get rid of those dead ends and give you a lighter, fun haircut for the hot summer months!
Take a risk and cut off all your hair! Although it may be a big leap, you can still jazz up your hair with fun accessories or even with different hair colors. With a pixie haircut, you’ll be sure to stay cool all summer long!
An important decision that relates to your wedding hairstyle is deciding what, if any, hair accessories you want. There are numerous options for hair accessories, from simple barrettes to long veils, and most accessories look great with whichever hairstyle you get for your big day
The classic hairpiece for your wedding day is wearing a veil. Veils are very traditional at weddings, and go with almost all wedding gowns and hairstyles!
Feel like an absolute princess on your wedding day by wearing your own tiara! Go with the classic tiara, or opt for a more fun and whimsical one with different shapes!
Be creative and match your hair with your own bouquet! With greenery being a big trend in weddings this year, why not add some fun greenery to your hairstyle as well?!
When thinking about this concept, we were inspired to mix the old with the new. The gardens and architecture of this late 1800s historical home nestled in the heart of Amherst, Massachusetts, created a simple but elegant backdrop to allow our deep beautiful jewel tones to take center stage.
Our vision for this beautiful shoot was to showcase a deep modern jewel tone palette and embrace a balance of the classic surroundings and the rich modern romance. We created a bold design with hues of pinks, purples, greens and blues, a palette that we accented with the mixture of vintage details and modern touches.
From the modern invitation suite with its geometric shapes and bold colors to the ombre guest seating we were inspired by this beautiful balance of classic and modern.
- Photographer: Melanie Zacek Photography
- Event & Stationery Designer: Parsimony Inspired
- Venue: Amherst Woman's Club
- Floral Designer: Flowers by Justine
- Cake Designer: Pete's Sweets
- Dress Store: Bridal Heirlooms
- Hair & Makeup: Brush Salon
- Jewelry: DMG Gallery
- Groom's Attire: The Bridal & Tux Boutique
- Calligraphy: Coppola Creative
- Laser Cut Name Tags: Fab Station
- Rentals: Jerome's Party Plus
- Shawls: Marisol Aparicio
Time to slip on the shades and embrace the warm weather! What better way to welcome the summer season than to discuss the hottest summer beauty trends this year?! From hair to makeup, we’ve got the scoop on how to rock your best look in the hot summer months!
With the sweltering sun and heat, the last thing we want to deal with is our makeup melting off our face. This season, take a step back from the layers of foundation and eyeshadow, and opt for a more natural makeup look! Use lighter-weight powders, liquid foundation with SPF, and soft skin tones to bring out your natural beauty!
Even with the ongoing trend of flirty beach waves, sometimes our hair won’t cooperate with the heat! Another option to wear your summer hair while beating the heat is to keep it up and off your neck! Go for the traditional top knot, or spice up your look with fun headbands and braids!
Along with summer comes dryer skin. Exfoliating your skin daily is a must in order to keep that healthy summer glow! Instead of using a harsh exfoliating scrub, try one of our favorite peel-pads! If you need a little boost in moisture in your skin, try this pore perfecting water gel moisturizer!
You’ve picked your dress and your shoes, and now’s the time to focus on how to style your hair for your wedding day! There are a variety of hairstyles for all lengths, including using accessories or just going solo. Once you have your options in mind, it’s important to decide what style to focus on: up-do, half up, or all down.
Don’t want your hair getting in the way? Opt for an up-do! There are many classic ways to pull your hair back for your wedding day. Whether it be a simple, modern twist or up with a few stray curls, your hair will look fabulous and chic! Spruce your do up with some flowers, hair pins, or braids.
Still want your hair away from your face, but want to enjoy it being down? Having a half-up do is the perfect choice! You can let your hair loose all while keeping it intact and out of your face. Either pin it back with a hair pin or utilize braids and braid half back. The accessories and options are endless!
Let your hair down! Whether you have short or long hair, embrace those locks, let go, and have fun! Go simple with subtle waves, keep your hair straight, or even swoop it off to the side with a hair piece. Whatever you choose, you’ll look fabulous!
'Tis the season that keeps us busy but gives us reasons to dress up! We were feeling in a hair rut so we gathered our favorite hairstyles for this holiday season. From date night to your office party, we have you covered!
1. Brush hair out and part your hair down the middle.
2. Take each section and french braid the hair all the way down to the crown of your head. Tip! This can be difficult, our advice is to do this in the mirror so you can see the back of your head. Secure with an elastic at each end.
3. Once you have both sides braided, remove each elastic. Be sure to keep a hold of each section of hair and then combine the ends into one ponytail and secure with an elastic.
1. We’re going to start on the left side and work our way to the right. Take a small section of hair and secure it with an elastic, make sure it’s not too tight and that it looks how you want from the front before moving on.
2. Secure another small section right next to the first and tie it off with a clear elastic.
3. Spilt the tail of first section of hair in half.
4. Place the tail of the second section through the middle. Secure the tail with a duck bill clip.
5. Make a third section, just like the first two, except add the tails from the first section to it. Continue this process until you reach the other side of your head, about 5 or 6 sections.
6. Secure it with clear elastic.
7. Tug and pull on the sections of hair to add volume to the “braid”.
8. Once you’ve reached the other side of your head, add an elastic to the top section of hair and pull the bottom section up and through it. Continue the pull through braid down the tails of the hair.
9. Wrap the tail underneath the main horizontal braid and secure with a large roller pin or bobby pins.
10. Tug and pull on the sections of hair until it’s as big and fluffy as you’d like. Make sure to use enough hairspray and secure any pieces with bobby pins.
For full tutorial, see Twist Me Pretty.
We LOVE this look from Luxy! As they describe it "A little bit bohemian, effortless and feminine - this hairstyle is perfect for your holiday parties or any special event."
1. Add dry shampoo if your hair needs to have texture added.
2. Then, divide your hair into two sections, like you’re doing a half-updo. Back comb underneath the top half and smooth over the top. This will give you lift in the front.
3. Pin the newly teased section (make sure the top layer is smooth, to cover the mess) with a couple (or more, if you need them) of bobby pins. You can give the bump a little boost if you want – you don’t have to just rely on the teasing.
4. Divide the lower section into two parts and braid. Secure with small elastics.
5. Pull each braid to the opposite side of your head. Secure with bobby pins. You can tuck the ends underneath each braid.
For full tutorial, check out Keiko Lynn.